Earth Day in Glendale!

Earth Day

April 21 & 22

Looking for some good Glendale Earth Day Celebrations? You should check out whats happening at Descanso Gardens!

Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night
Saturday | 3:30 p.m. | Under the Oaks Theater

“If music be the food of love, play on!” Revel in the pleasures of the Bard’s luminous comedy presented by the California Shakespeare Ensemble in the shade of Descanso’s oak trees. Enjoy live harp music ahttp://urbantoot.com/wp-admin/edit.php?page=cal#nd purchase selections from an organic wine bar as part of the revels. Free with admission. Recommended for ages 12 and older.

Mobile Homeboys in concert
Sunday | Noon-2 p.m. | Under the Oaks Theater

This rocking ensemble is a Descanso musical favorite. Sit back and enjoy an afternoon of hard-charging country-flavored rock and roll. Free with admission.

Earth Day Activities & Barbecue
Sunday | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | Main Lawn

Learn more about ecosystems at Descanso’s annual Earth Day celebration. Children can explore nature through hands-on activities. Discover the “locavore” culinary movement, celebrating locally raised food, at Patina’s eco-friendly barbecue where mouth-watering selections will be sold. Most activities free with admission.

What’s happening this week.

The Americana at Brand has a full week of activities and events. Events listed are from the Americana at Brand Website.

WEEKLY EVENTS

Yoga with Lululemon Athletica

Lululemon Athletica hosts a complimentary yoga class every Sunday, 9:30-10:30am

Barnes & Noble Storytime

Join Barnes & Noble as they read a delightful variety of children’s books. (4+ years old) Thursdays, 7pm

Gigi’s Farmers Market

A Farmers Market with a New Approach

Come discover an inspired collection of fresh offerings from many of the area’s best farmers and merchants. Saturdays, 10am-2pm.

Kids Yoga with Lululemon Athletica

Please join Lululemon Athletica for a fun filled Kids Yoga class on The Green. Recommended for 3-6 year olds, but parents are always welcome to join in on the fun! Wednesdays, 11-11:45am.

Barnes & Noble Storytime

Join Barnes & Noble as they read a delightful variety of children’s books. (2+ years old) Wednesdays, 12 pm

Stroller Strides

Getting in shape has never been so fun! Join Stroller Strides for a total fitness program that moms can enjoy with their babies! Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9-10am

Monday Morning Mommy Movies

Moms, Dads, Caregivers – come see a first-run movie…with your baby! No one will mind if your baby cries, so pick up your diaper bag and stroller! Mondays, 11am

Kids Club on The Green

Enjoy a terrific selection of enriching activities for kids, parents and caregivers. Join us for a weekly dose of fun, including music, entertainment and so much more! Tuesdays, 11am – 1pm

Americana photo image from Kendyl Young on Flickr Creative Commons

Dear City Council

This is the best thing from Glendale since George Lucas! Oh wait he’s from Modesto.

Parkview Pet Clinic

As many of you may or may not know, Parkview Pet Clinic has been in existence for over 30 years.  Dr. Martin owned and ran the clinic for the past 28 years. If your pet is  not a patient, I am sure that you have driven by it hundreds of times.  Parkview is located in the heart of the “Woodlands,” off of Canada Blvd. and across from McDonalds.  Over a year ago, Dr. Martin retired as a veterinarian and sold his practice.  Since that time, there have been many exciting changes going on within the clinic.

I recently caught up with Dr. Lauren Tang, VMD, MS, who was hired by Parkview a year ago.  Dr. Tang grew up in Southern California but completed her education in Pennsylvania.  She received a degree in biochemistry, a Masters in Chemistry and then her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine.  After completing her education she returned to California and completed additional training in intensive Small Animal Medicine and a Surgery Internship at VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital.  Dr. Tang is a part of a team of veterinarians at Parkview, including Dr. Kristi Nichlaus, Dr. Paul Schneider and Dr. Paul Jansak

“Dr. Tang is known for compassion for her patients and clients, and her thoroughness in providing excellent patient care. She treats a wide variety of emergency and non-emergency cases with a keen interest in soft tissue surgery,”  www.parkviewpetclinic.com.

I asked Dr. Tang what brought her to Parkview and she reported, “I joined this practice because I could practice affordable, high quality medicine.  The modern equipment is just one of the tools that I can use to best serve my clients and patients.  The prices are low but this doesn’t mean that the quality is bad.  When an owner comes to me with a problem, and I make a recommendation, if they can afford those recommendations and I can diagnose and treat the problem, everyone wins”. She was impressed with the modern equipment of the clinic and the dedicated staff.  She explained the importance of having state-of-the-art clinic equipment in order to make accurate and timely diagnoses for the animals.  Despite the quaint exterior appearance of the clinic, it has a variety of very modern diagnostic equipment.  Dr. Tang also spoke about the high level of staff dedication at Parkview.  One of the technicians, Rene, has been at the clinic for over 20 years.

Dr. Martin ran a thriving clinic and now the new team of veterinarians are excited to make some modern changes.  They have revamped the clinic website, www.parkviewpetclinic.com, which I recently reviewed and was impressed.  You can make appointments on the website, e-mail your vet, review your pet’s vaccination history, request refills of prescriptions, create a “pet portal”, and there is a “care guide” section which lists 50 pages of canine care articles that have been screened and approved by the vet. staff.  The articles cover everything from dangerous household plants to ways to help your arthritic dog. They also include the contact information for the local emergency clinic for after-hours care. Dr. Tang reported that the website is still “under construction” with more improvements coming.  In the future they will create a way for pet owners to purchase specialty products (foods) online, to be delivered to the owners home.

The clinic offers many, many services for pet owners.  They offer dental care, puppy and kitten care, radiology, senior care, surgery, vaccinations and wellness exams.  Parkview also continues to offer kennel services for when owners go on vacation.  They have a team of dedicated staff that care for your pet while you are out of town.  They walk your pet three times a day. This is a great option for pets with health conditions that require medication (just a $5 fee to administer medications during their stay). The costs is $20 for dogs under 20 lbs., $27 for dogs 21-44 lbs. and $30 for dogs over 45 lbs. You can board your cat for $22 a day.  I did not know that they also have day boarding as an option.  The cost is $15 for the day and the staff will walk your dog a minimum of 2 times but often 3 times during the day.  The day boarding hours are from 8 a.m. with 5:30 p.m. pickup time.  You do not have to be a client of Parkview to reserve a spot within the kennel.  The clinic also offers specialty pet foods, treats and flea treatments for sale.

I was excited to learn that this week Parkview will launch a new program to reward their clients. They will be starting a referral program.  How it works is that if a client refers a friend to the clinic, that friend will receive a free consultation and examination.  Then the client who referred the friend will receive a $20 credit.  Dr. Tang explained that they receive most of their new clients through personal referrals and word of mouth.  I know that I learned about Parkview over 5 years ago through friends in our neighborhood.  Dr. Tang said that they have been talking about starting this program for a while and they feel strongly about thanking their loyal clients and rewarding them for referring others to the practice.

One of the very positive changes that I noticed was the change in office hours.  The clinic is now open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.  This is a huge bonus for working pet owners and also for illnesses and emergencies that occur on the weekends.  Dr. Tang reported that she works on Sunday and that this is one of the busiest days of the week. After-hours emergencies are still referred to the local Eagle Rock Emergency Clinic (323-254-7382).

Personally I feel most at home at a pet clinic where I feel that the doctors and staff care about me and my pet.  I got this overwhelming sense of caring when speaking to Dr. Tang about her work and Parkview. Our family switched from a clinic in Pasadena due to their lack of caring and sensitivity.  I look forward to continuing to bring my dogs to Parkview in the future as I know they will be well taken care of.

Maggie Mason, M.S.W.

Mother of two humans and two canines.  Author and therapist in “pre-mom life”.

rePlanet where?

I recycle…because it’s the right thing to do. In fact, don’t we all buy a myriad of containers that can be recycled? …even paying just a little bit extra each time I take home that 2 liter of soda or that 6-pack of beer. And that’s ok really, because it’s that small nudge, that incentive to eventually return them. I know it’s the law that the retailer must collect the CRV and I know that the law is designed to help the environment so I’m cool with it. I save the scads of bulky containers, which consume a good chunk of real estate in my garage. And then it’s time. Time to finally bring the lot to where it can begin its second life.

But where do I go? Well, the Vons in Montrose had a rePlanet recycling center but when the store was remodeled a while back the rePlanet center was removed. I remember thinking that it would have to come back but it never did.

So what should I do? I have a car full of containers that I want to recycle and no place in my neighborhood to go?  I vaguely recall there being a recycling container in Tujunga behind Albertsons. So I shlep the containers of containers all the way down foothill and pull up to the unit. You know the one: big grey shipping style container (rePlanet) with bright colorful earth friendly paintings all over the sides. Cool, no line. I pull up closer. And it’s closed! c#&p! I check the hours. Open till 4:30. Check my watch and it’s only 3. Double c#&p! because now I’m thinking I have to haul the lot back home with me. The next nearest rePlanet container is 10 miles away, still in Glendale but very close to Eagle Rock.

So, here’s my gripe: we are encouraged to recycle and yet are provided so few places to bring those recyclables. A hundred stores sell bottles and cans and charge the extra deposit but so few help take them back… On top of that why are they only open until 4:30? Don’t they know people have jobs? That people need to stay at work until at least 5PM if not later? I mean seriously, whatever time they sell the drinks they should be forced to take them back and give us back our money!

So I decided to do some digging. According to a pamphlet on the Cal Gov/Cal Recyle website. Stores that do more then 2 million dollars in business a year are considered a convienance zone. Inside that convenience zone the store is requried to have a recycling collection system within .5 miles of the zone.  I’ve copied the text for you to read below.

So my question is why don’t more of the local stores have recycle centers? If the grocery store chain believes that we need the local supermarket why don’t they think we need places to drop off our bottles and get back the money that we paid for them?

I learned that the retail stores can apply for an exception but I don’t know how to find out what stores have been given the exception. I found this notice at http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/Notices/2011/CZJan.pdf on the website of Department of Resources recycling and Recovery, Division of Recycling. I contacted them and after identifying myself I left a message but never heard back. Yeah, I’m shocked as much as you are. In my message I asked how the public can find out what stores have received the exception. Yup, no answer.

Is it me or does it just seem like no one in government ever listens to the public? Yeah I feel the same way.

Requirements for Stores Located
in Convenience Zones without a
Certified Recycling Center
A convenience zone is the area in a one-half mile circle
around a supermarket that has annual sales of two million
dollars or more.
Without a recycling center in your neighborhood, customers who
buy beverages from you will not have a convenient place to get
back the CRV they paid at your store.
All stores in the convenience zone without a Certified Recycling
Center (unserved), will receive a “First Notice” that they have
60 days until they will have to redeem CRV bottles and cans or
pay a daily fee. If a recycling center opens within your
convenience zone, the Department of Resources Recycling and
Recovery (Department) will notify you in writing, providing you
with the name and address of the recycling center.
If a certified recycling center is not established in the
convenience zone on or before the end of the 60-day “grace
period,” then California law requires stores to do one of the
following:
A. Redeem all empty California Redemption Value (CRV)
beverage containers brought to your store during regular
business hours by consumers. This would mean paying
customers CRV and storing containers until they could be
taken to a certified recycling center, where you would get
back the CRV you paid your customers, or
B. Pay $100 per day to the Department. By paying $100 per
day, a store is relieved of its legal obligation to redeem
empty beverage containers in-store. Please note that the
$100 per day payment is an option in California law and is
not a fine.

Beverage Container Recycling Program

801 K Street, MS 19-01
Sacramento, CA 95814-3533
Phone: (916) 323-3836
Hotline: 1-800-RECYCLE
Fax: (916) 327-2144

Online: http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/Contacts.htm

Me, Too

Me Too ScupltureIn Downtown Glendale, where I work, there is a sculpture that I see almost everyday. Some days it kind of blends into the background. Some days, the dark contrasts are absorbed by an overcast SoCal sky, but some days, most days actually, it stands there in the lawn of the Glendale Public Library and tells me a story.

Now, I’m no exemplar of art scholarship or even interpretation, but this work moves me. The title of the piece, commissioned from artist Natalie Krol, is “Me Too.”

When you look at “Me Too,” the first thing you see is an embrace. What a profound symbol! A community is defined by its capacity for embrace. Too often, when we talk about community…or any community for that matter…we usually end up sharing the ways that we have been hurt by exclusion.

Why? Because each of us longs for inclusion. Our deepest desire is to be embraced.

One of the beautiful gifts art gives us is it usually always embraces our perspective. The artist may have had one thing in mind when she created it, but you as the viewer bring new meaning to it when you see it. It’s prismatic and mysterious that way. When I look at this sculpture, a variety of scenarios take shape in my imagination.

Sometimes I see a father hugging his daughter. His toughness melts, as do the stresses of the day, in the too short reach of her grappling arms. As his heart melts a little and a tender smile spreads across his face, it creates a warm and safe space in the home. His wife walks over and says, “me, too?”

Or perhaps, a mother and her daughter are holding one another, waiting for the terminal door to open, anxiously hoping to be first one to see him as he arrives home from Afghanistan. Eyes wide open, he walks into their line of sight. He runs to them as they get to their feet. “Me, too?”

Then, maybe this is a moment where a young couple stand in the library lawn, watching his neighbors’ son roll around in the grass, pretending the Goodnight Moon he just borrowed is a space ship. Suddenly he looks up and see that the young man and woman are close together. He knows what his job is. Forgetting his book behind him, he runs…”me, too!”

When I asked Natalie Krol, the artist, about the piece, she related, “When I decided to create the imagery the uppermost thought in my mind was to express the love that is shared with family members. I decided to leave the figures faceless to represent all of humanity.”

All of humanity.

That’s alot of embrace.

Glendale is an impressively diverse community. We have it all, so to speak, and Krol’s sculpture is an appropriately placed reminder of that fact. Kristin Hunter wrote, “First it is necessary to stand on your own two feet. But the minute a man finds himself in that position, the next thing he should do is reach out his arms.”

Remember, the next time you are at the downtown library, stop and enter into the story of the art. And also, remember the next time you pull somebody close that someone else may be quietlythinking, “Me, too.”

Chris Harrison is pastor @glenpres church and blogs at http:// prophetsandpopstars.com . Most days you can find him venturing back and forth from the Starbucks in Frog Alley (He has a gold card, you know).

Check out Natalie Krols website!

Voice of the People

I don’t understand. Glendale Water and Power said that the Smart Meter’s would:

• make our lives better.
  • we would be able to better identify areas of waste.
  • ( implied) we would be patriotic by following President Obama’s plan for a Greener Utility environment.

I don’t know anyone who has had their utility bill decrease. Everyone I know has had their Utility bills increase.( Sure it’s not a scientific survey but then I don’t live my life in a scientific survey.)

Instead I live my life by viewing and experiencing the world around me. The world around me (many of the people I know) says that Glendale Water and Power charged more for the smart meters. Now they are charging me, and the people I know, more money.

Does it feel wrong?. For sure yes. Is it fair? (no. maybe, yes??) I really don’t know. Does it feel like, once again, the government is not really responsive to the voice of the people? To me it does, the voice of the public falls on deaf ears. You see GWP presented all this as a good thing. As the responsible thing as a thing that will make the world better. Now it just feels like it’s an expensive thing.

I understand that under the old way of doing things that Glendale Water and Power was still making enough money. From what I’ve heard every year the city took some of that money that we paid for water and power and used it in the rest of the city. I’m not sure if thats going on but if it is it should stop. If it was the people of the city of Glendale should get a rebate and an apology.

Will we. most likely not. Because who really is listening to the Voice of the People?

Silly me I thought that the money I paid to GWP was for my water and power. I thought that the money I paid in taxes went to the rest of the city.

Does it ever feel like as regular middle class Americans who live in Glendale that none of our elected leaders are listening? Does it feel like we no loner have a voice? Does it feel like all we hear is sorry we can’t afford that or that’s not the way that we do it? Sometimes it does.

From time to time Urban Toot is going to start pointing out times when we feel like the public doesn’t have a voice or a say in things. They might be long articles or short ones. We’ll have to see. But you can rest assured that we aren’t finished talking about all this!

The Monterey Road Eco-Community Garden in Glendale

Editors Note:

The link to vote for the $5,000 Grant is here: http://www.iuowawards.com/Projects.aspx#project|105c2bc7-2491-4f58-9336-e9b0696abe29

The Monterey Road Eco-Community Garden in Glendale stands out as a simple yet productive urban renewal living project.  Now in its fourth year, the Garden occupies what used to be two vacant parcels in a residential neighborhood just north of the 134 Freeway.  Serving over 40 families this project embodies sustainable living, organic gardening, and community organizing.

As the brainchild of the Coalition for a Green Glendale, a community group whose mission is to promote sustainable living in Glendale, the Garden is designed to do just that.  They are the first community-run gardens in Glendale and the first in the State of California to use reclaimed water for irrigation.  Complete with dozens of compost bins to recycle waste, demonstration gardens to show passersby how they can transform their yards, and promoting an urban agricultural lifestyle where you can grow your own food, the Garden stands out to the community as an opportunity to do something good at an individual and local level.

Today, the Monterey Road Eco-Community Garden wants to initiate another first in Glendale.  Pending funding from a grant they are competing for, a bioswale in the parkway will be installed to divert stormwater from the street to instead go into the ground and naturally percolate down, preventing polluted water from entering the Los Angeles River.  The Garden will also have rain barrels to capture water from the toolsheds and neighboring roofs, and install rain gardens where small ditches can turn into temporarily holding ponds for stormwater to collect.

If you want to get directly involved in helping the garden, click on the following link and cast your vote for your local Monterey Road Eco-Community Garden Project.  You can vote once per day and the project needs to be ranked 1st 2nd or 3rd to win.  The grant competition will end on March 15.

http://www.iuowawards.com/Projects.aspx#project|105c2bc7-2491-4f58-9336-e9b0696abe29

Additionally, if you want to be in touch with the Coalition for a Green Glendale to obtain a plot at the Gardens, regarding upcoming volunteer opportunities, free community-wide gardening workshops, and local environmental issues, please contact them Alek Bartrosouf at greenglendale@gmail.com.

Burglaries

Urban Toot will pass along any official corresponding regarding public safety that is submitted to us. We hope all of our neighbors stay safe and vigilant. Please pass this along.

Neighborhood Watch Leaders:

Along the western edge of Rossmoyne and into our West Command, there have been several attempts and a few successful residential burglaries. The MO is the same as what we have seen: The residents that have seen and thwarted the burglars, have reported a knock at the front door. When they have not answered, the suspect (so far, all male) walks toward the side of the residence and begins to attempt entry. In these cases, the residents have chased off the suspect and called us after they have lost sight of the suspect. We have had vehicles stolen (300 block East Dryden and 1100 Block Campbell on Jan 13), and another residential burglary (also on Jan 13th). This burglary was similar to the one on Cordova (shared driveway with obscured view from street) with jewelry being the target. The residents secured the home around 9:00AM and returned at 4:30 to find a pried rear slider door. No suspects were seen. Our detectives are working leads, but it is always observant residents who make the difference. When in doubt about who the person at your door is, don’t open the door. Acknowledge them with a, “Who is it?” and if they still seem unsavory, call us right away. The general dispatch number is: (818) 548-4841. When in doubt, call 911.

Send this to those in the area. Hopefully, we can collect new Neighborhood Watch members and host a meeting with a terrific topic in the next month!!!

Officer Sue Shine

East Command, Lead Officer

Glendale Police Department

131 North Isabel Street

Glendale, CA 91206

Glendale Preschools

In the Glendale area there are many choices for preschool. Yet parents ofter wonder what are the different educational approaches and how can I find what best meets the need of our family. Here is an overview of the different preschool philosophies in our area:

Developmental: Here we see the theories of Jean Piaget, who believed that children as well as adults pass through stages of development that are defined by developmental norms of behavior. The developmental preschool allows for children to be seen individually in a setting that allows for their development to progress through play based learning.

Progressive: This encompasses many of the traits of a developmental school, yet there is an emphasis on community and being a part of the world outside of a school setting. This means there are field trips, where children children study the community. The educator John Dewey held the belief that the educational process begins with the interest of the child, and that the child’s natural curiosity is at the for front of there curriculum.

Montessori: There are four principles of this philosophy: learning should occur in a multi age classroom, the teacher is the guide for the child as opposed to having all the answers, children work at their own pace, and a classroom is set up according to subject areas.

Cooperative: This is a school where the children work in the classroom as teachers assistants, as opposed to having paid personnel. There is a teacher who directs the parents in working with the children, and there is usually a traditional approach such as developmental. The tuition is usually low at these schools, making preschool more affordable.

Keep in mind there are schools that may combine approaches and schools that are strictly teaching a certain method. Look for what resonates with you, with what you want for your child, and what best suits you family:)

Debbie has been an early childhood educator for the past twenty years as a preschool teacher, director and parent educator. She is a member of the National Association of Early Childhood Educators, Pasadena City College’s Advisory Board and a local preschool directors networking group. Debbie is the owner and Director of La Canada Preschool. Her vision is to provide the best environment for children to experience discovery and their sense of wonder at this magical moment in human development. 

Toy images from melissaanddoug.com

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.